How to analyse music, according to ACE.
Questions to evaluate musical selections/performances:
- Does the music glorify God, not the performer or composer?
- Does the music reflect Biblical doctrine and Godly living?
- Is the rhythm a subservient feature that does not dominate the music?
- Does the background music play a subservient role to the lyrics and not distract the listener from the message?
- Are the lyrics Biblically accurate?
- Is the performance a straightforward presentation, focusing on vocal technique that employs proper breathing (avoiding breathy tones, sagging and sliding pitches, and/or choreographed movement)?
- Is the music easily identifiable as a Christ-honoring piece as opposed to a “new sound” as in secular or entertainment styles?
- Does the music invoke positive responses?
- Does the selection draw the listener closer to God and uplift his/her spirit?
- Does the music praise the Lord, focus on God, or deliver a clear spiritual message?
– from the ACE website.